Michael Watkins, author of the books, The First 90 Days and Your Next Move - A Leader's Guide to Successfully Navigating Major Career Transitions, is interviewed on the Harvard Business Review YouTube Channel on the subject of successfully navigating major career transitions.
How can you improve your odds as you prepare to make your next move? Michael discusses to two key challenges you face in any career transition:
- What do I need to do to adapt to the change and the challenges inherent in the change, and
- What do I need to do for the organization -- what are the key goals and objectives
Getting clarity on BOTH of the above is key to navigating and realizing a successful career transition.
Michael also poses two great questions for those making a career transition:
- What are some things I really do well, that I probably need to drop or no longer do in the new position?
- What are some things that I DON'T do well, that are going to be important elements in the new position -- and therefore important for me to improve upon?
I highly recommend viewing this video for anyone in a leadership position about to embark on any of the following major career transitions:
- A new promotion
- Onboarding into a new company
- Leading/managing individuals who were formerly peers
- Turning around a business in crisis
Source: Harvard Business YouTube Channel -
Co-host, Career Success Radio Show
A leading authority on career success; 15-year executive coaching veteran
Contact: Andy@CRGLeaders.com, 239-285-5575